WHAT WE BELIEVE: THE ESSENTIALS
- God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe.
- He has eternally existed in three personalities:
- the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- These three are co-equal and are one God (The Trinity).
Genesis 1:1, 26, 27, 3:22; Deuteronomy 6:4; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; John 1:1-14;
1 Peter 1:2; 2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 John 5:7
ABOUT THE FATHER
- He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, and all wise.
- He reigns with providential care over the universe and the flow of human history goes according to His purposes and plan.
- God is Father in truth to those who become children of God through faith in Jesus Christ.
Genesis 1:1, 2:7; Exodus 3:14, 6:2-3; Matthew 23:9; Mark 1:9-11;
John 4:24; Romans 8:14-15; Ephesians4:6; Colossians 1:15;
1 Timothy 1:17; Romans 8:28-30
ABOUT JESUS CHRIST
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father.
- Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all the people by dying on a cross.
- He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death.
- He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again some day to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Matthew 1:22-23; Isaiah 9:6;
John 1:1-5, 14:10-30; Hebrews 4:14, 1:1-3;
1 Corinthians 15:34 Romans 1:3-4;
Acts 1:9-11; I Timothy 6:14-15; Titus 2:13
ABOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT
- The Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and the Son of God.
- He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ.
- He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation.
- He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right.
- He gives every believer a spiritual gift when they are saved.
- As Christians we seek to live under His control daily.
2 Corinthians 3:17; John 16:7-1 3, 14:16-17; Acts 1:8;
1 Corinthians 2:12, 3:16; Ephesians 1:13;
Galatians 5:25; Ephesians 5:18, Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 12
ABOUT THE BIBLE
- The Bible is God’s Word to us.
- It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living.
- Because it is inspired by God, it is the truth without any mixture of error.
- It is the inerrant, infallible, authoritative, and sufficient Word of God.
2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 1:13; Proverbs 30:5
Psalms 119:105, 160, 12:6;
ABOUT HUMAN BEINGS
- People are made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character.
- People are the supreme object of God’s creation.
- Although every person has tremendous potential for good,
- All of us are marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin.”
- This attitude separates people from God and causes problems in life.
Genesis 1:26-27; Psalms 8:3-6; Isaiah 53:6a;
Romans 3:23; Isaiah 59:1-2
- Salvation is God’s free gift to us, but we must accept it.
- We can never make up for our sins by self-improvement or good works.
- Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty.
- When we turn from our self-ruled life (repentance) and turn to Jesus in faith, we are saved.
- Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith.
Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 14:6,1:12; Titus 3:5; Galatians 3:26; Romans 5:1; Acts 4:12
ABOUT ETERNAL SECURITY
- Because God gives us eternal life through Jesus Christ, the true believer is secure in that salvation for eternity.
- If you have been genuinely saved, you cannot “lose” it.
- Salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian.
- It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives us this security.
John 10:29; 2 Timothy 1:12; Hebrews 7:25, 10:10, 12:5-11; 1 Peter 1:3-5;
1John 2-3; 1 Corinthians 3:10-15; Matthew 7:13-27
- People were created to exist forever.
- We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation.
- To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life.
- Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal existence.
John 3:16, 2:25; Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:15; Matthew 5:8